Friday, June 24, 2011

Vested Interest in Incorporating the Vest (AKA My Bridal Epiphany!)

I scoured the internet looking for inspiration for the most-important-thing-I-will-ever-wear (AKA: The Wedding Dress), ordered it & crossed it off the list. (OK. Maybe it wasn't that simple. But it is crossed off!)

But what about the Mister?!

Let me start off by saying that Mr. Sweet Cream isn't the type of guy who needs help in the dressing-himself department.  He is not a guy that will show up all wrinkly in ripped clothing to a family party and he actually does get excited when we have a little cash to treat ourselves to some new digs.

So I was super excited that he was on the same page as me when it came down to wearing grey on our wedding day. (Mr. Sweet Cream can be very decisive about his wardrobe choices so I surely thought that he would insist on a all black look for whatever reason).  Specifically, Mr. Sweets wants to wear "charcoal grey."  (I told you that he's decisive!)

He also liked the idea of forgoing the tux road and having a very cool suit instead.  I mean do BBQ & fancy tuxedos go together?  Well, I guess it can if we wanted it to.  It's our day, right?

But Mr. Sweets likes the suit idea (phew!)... so here are some of the ones that he's been digging:

Lauren by Ralph Lauren Black & White Portly Suit 

Express Pinstripe Cotton Silk 2-Button Suit Jacket with
Pinstripe Cotton Silk Producer Suit Pant

Suit, H&M / Shirt, Dolce & Gabanna / Tie, Penguin / Belt, Ralph Lauren & Shoes, Bostanian

Suits -- at least the ones the Mr. Sweets is taking a liking too -- can be a lot to ask the gents to fork up some Benjamins for...So I started googling my little heart out looking for more inspiration.  And that's when it hit me.

Vests!! Yes.  Super-simple-totally-vintage vests.

I made the mistake of showing Mr. Sweets a picture like this:

Suit Vest in Italian Wool / via  J. Crew

How cool would it be to throw away the whole jacket idea and just do vests?  Look at the vested handsome grooms & their best buds charmingly existing in the blogosphere:



Photography by Christina Heaston & Angela M. Cox 
via Wedding Bee "Real Wedding" Brittany & Eric

Love it! 

And I can just picture Mr. Sweets looking oh-so-yummy in his vest & tie.  Mr. Sweets is totally down for the idea... but -- with a jacket too!! Well, that kinda defeats the purpose.  Sigh... the boy obviously isn't gellin' with my bridal brain... Perhaps I should create him a groomsmen inspiration board?  No... there are far too many other things to do.  I'm trying to let him know that a suit AND a vest would be only an added expense for the guys.

Instead of getting frustrated... I had an epiphany! 

Mr. Sweet Cream can do whatever his little heart desires! I guess he can.  It's his day too, right?  He is the groom after all!! Who says he has to match his guys?? I'm certainly not matchin' the ladies

And it turns out that I am not the only brilliant bride (or groom) to think of this idea!

I love who this cool-vested-groom stands out amongst his buds.
Image via Delightfully Engaged / Photographer: Cameron Ingalls

All Different Suits + Groom & His Party = Genius! 

I still think that this wedding looks like it is straight out of the pages of some cool, hipster glossy.  Vests for groomsmen? Check! Groom in suit? Double check!  Extra cool: The groom was super considerate of his buddy's wallets and those vest... they're from Forever 21.  Yes, you read that right.  Forever 21.  Cost efficient and super stylish.
Image via OnceWed / Photographer: Photography by Beulah

Me & the Mister can totally get our way and it is even better than I imagined!  Now we only have to figure out where to dress the guys for a decent price.  

Mr. Sweets, feel free to go all out on your wedding day suit & not feel all guilty.  It's a win, win for all involved.

So tell me...  What's the groom wearing for the big day?  Is he just as opinionated as Mr. Sweet Cream?  Grooms, are you showing your personality or doing something special to stand out from the rest of the guys?  Did you score any deals on the guys' attire?


No comments:

Post a Comment