Monday, July 25, 2011

Make Me Up! The Importance of a Trial

I'm sure that in days before bridal blogs like the Bee brides had their ways about finding a perfect photographer or place to get their dress.  They probably heard through the grapevine about a wonderful photographer or a fabulous baker.  Either way I'm a chic who loves hearing about people's experiences and advice whether to pull the trigger or a purchase or not.

I love seeing how many stars a movie gets before deciding if I should really spend all that dough to see it.  Mr. Sweets completely embarrassed me (by accident) when he told the guy at Best Buy that I am totally set on buying a printer based on the stars.   And restaurant reviews? Enough said.

But sometimes the reviews surprise me!  After waiting to see a flick when it gets to DVD, sometimes I wish I would've seen it on the big screen.  And there have been plenty of times that I just had to try Restaurant X because of rave reviews only to be left disappointed and confused about what all the fuss was about.

That's why I highly recommend a test drive.  Even if it is a little pricey.

Enter, my makeup trial.  I decided that I will not pull a Princess Kate and DIY my makeup on the big day (despite my love of DIYing!).  Although I am known to have an unbelievably steady hand with liquid liner and BM Sweet Cream loves when I do her up before a night on the town, I wanted to leave something like this to the professionals for a super important day like this.

I read tons of amazing things about Make Up Artist X.  So even though she was a bit pricey and needed a certain minimum spent before booking her, I decided to give her a spin.

I dreamed of creamy smooth skin, dewy blush and heavy top and bottom lashes and booked a date with Make Up Artist X on the day of the engagement sesh and shared some inspiration pics with her beforehand.  
Hayden Panettiere / Photo by Frazer Harrison/ Getty Images N.A. / via Zimbio

Kim K. / Image via Smashion Blog (via Elle.com)

Mila Kunis / via InStyle / via Mathew Imaging/WireImage

So I came in to her like this...
(freshly scrubbed face)

And left like this...




And I wasn't incredibly happy to tell you the truth.  Mr. Sweets was super confused because he thought I looked like a knock out.  And I'm not saying it was horrible.  It just wasn't what I wanted.  There was a smokey eye, eye lashes that reminded me of the Daisy Duck hat the you get in Disney World and for so much of my hard-earned mullah -  I didn't really think it was worth it.

I feel like there was three choices: simple, medium and loud and I just got one of them.  I mentioned my disappointment to Make Up Artist X and that I wanted thicker lashes (not necessarily longer) and I was told that I was just looking at it weird.  Also, I don't exactly have the skin of a porcelain doll and thought that maybe some makeup might make it close.  I felt like my at home cover up job did better and was told that the airbrush gun was broken so I couldn't see what they would do.  I was super bummed about that last part.

And the real kicker is that I was overcharged by 10 bucks.  I just knew that the trial cost less and when I questioned the price, I was told that I must be confused...only to later check my email to find out I was right -- and over charged!

So while I used some scissors on my too long lashes for the trial and did some touch ups myself with liners, mascaras and foundations -- it all worked out in the end.

Mr. Sweets thinks that it was silly to pay money to try someone out -- but I completely disagree.  It's worth it in the end to know that I don't think that we have the same idea in mind.  I'd rather pay now and not be disappointed on the big day.

So I'm on to plan B. My amazing hair guy does make up too so I think that I'm gonna show him my inspiration pics some day soon and see what he comes up with.  I would be surprised if he didn't rock it out.  Mama Sweets suggested to do it when everyone is at my house getting ready for the shower.  I'm a little hesitant knowing the semi-stress I put myself under for the engagement sesh, but heck, I dodged that & it came out good in the end, so why not.

Bonus: To get my hair did, nails done AND make up costs just as much as it would for my make up with Make Up Artist X.  And amazing hair guy does wonders.

Did you get surprised by an online review -- for better? or for worse?  Were you a little disappointed by any of your trials?

No comments:

Post a Comment