Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dry-Run Chow Down: Part Dwa

So I mentioned that my fantasy of the perfect rehearsal dinner at a local Mexican BYO did not shake out as I had originally imagined.

That didn't slow me down.  Just like Jay Z and Swizz Beatz I was "on to the next one."

I turned to google to try to help me uncover a unique BYO that was out there in our neighborhood.  Of course I would give the rehearsal dinner a rehearsal and go try it out for myself.  There were options.  But nothing that wowed me.

Until I stumbled upon Rozmayrn in Northern Trenton, not too far from our little Catholic Church in Bucks County.  Now this was perfection! I am half Polish and Gmom Sweet Cream smiled when I told her about the idea.

The crazy out-of-control imagination of mine took a hold of me all over again after I found out that rosemary was considered as a symbol of friendship and remembrance and that it was used in Polish weddings as a symbol of love and faith.  So much so, that bride's friends would make her a wreath made out of rosemary to wear on head on her wedding day.  I could just picture little pots with rosemary in it as the center piece for each table with a little note about the herb's relevance.

Then, after some more research I also knew that we would have to have a Polish hand-binding ceremony.  This was even better than my long-held Tijuana Flats idea.  I was on top of the world!

 "Zrekowiny" Painting by Wlodzimierz Tetmajer / Via dobrykadrerz 

Here are some details about a Polish hand-binding ceremony for those of you who aren't familiar...


One Polish tradition that took place before rings became popular was called "zrekowiny" -- the hand binding ceremony. A master of ceremonies -- usually an uncle, a trusted male friend, or someone instrumental in the marital match -- was appointed.
The couple would join their hands together over a loaf of bread placed on a table covered with the best white tablecloth in the house. The MC would bind the couples' hands together with an embroidered cloth made especially for the occasion, symbolically indicating the willingness of both parties to be married and share their lives and duties. Then he would bless them, saying: "Two hands joined together over a loaf of bread -- that is the most beautiful sign of togetherness and the happy joining of two people traveling the same road. Two hands joined together until death do them part."
The would hold a silver coin to symbolize "being wealthy with good health & never in financial stress." It would follow by a sip of wine to signify "enjoying the sweetness in life," a spec of salt on their tongue to signify, "overcoming the bitterness in life."  -Taken from Laura's Wedding Traditions Blog


But I guess that before I got ahead of myself (which I am known to do), I should go have a look for myself.  As I envisioned the embroidered cloth used for the ceremony that I would create and that we would cherish forever, we headed off across the bridge to try to taste the reviews of "the best pierogis" in town.  It wasn't too far away, maybe 15-20 minutes from our ceremony site.  As Mama Sweet Cream flew by the discreet restaurant (Mama Sweets has a lead foot hive... she won't admit it, but she does) I yelled out "Stop! I see the sign!" and we circled the block looking for parking.


Rozmaryn's adorable little interior

And up several tall steps and through a little wooden door was an amazing little Polish restaurant.  We chatted with the owner who said that with 25 people she would close it down & heck, if our rehearsal lasted longer than we thought they would stay open until we were finished.  

And across the street was a liquor store that had a selection of Polish beers and Polish vodkas.  I was on a high.  

Yummy Polish Beer & Pierogies!

Mr. Sweets is waiting to crack open these bad boys for 
me to make pierogis & kielbasa again for dinner.

We ordered take out and I brought home Polish goodness for Mr. Sweet Cream to try (he didn't come since he was re-walling our shower and to him, that took priority at the time) simply delicious potato & cheese, sauerkraut & meat pierogies and some white borsht soup. (It actually inspired me to take Gmom Sweet's original recipe and have some fun in the kitchen incorporating everything from kielbasa to buffalo chicken into the traditional potato base).

Me & Gmom Sweet Cream in the parking lot after scoring some homemade pierogis!

Mr. Sweets loved the basic potato pierogi, but wasn't quite sure on the other ones.  I loved them all.  There were a ton of other options on the menu too.

I was making arrangements for everyone to officially go rehearse the rehearsal dinner and give it a whirl.  But then, I had a chat with Cousin Sweet Cream who had something else entirely in mind...

Did you wind up using your heritage in any part of your wedding?  What customs did you do to make your wedding week -- or wedding -- special?

1 comment: