Monday, August 1, 2011

Dry-Run Chow Down: La Decisión

I've told you how I've bounced around everywhere from a cool little Mexican BYO to a Polish place known for their pierogis for the locale of our rehearsal dinner.


While life was still in Part Uno, Cousin Sweets decided that she'd love to be in charge of the margaritas.  This lady is someone who loves food, cooking, experimenting & planning just as much as me, so she took her task pretty seriously researching some yummy tequila-laced infusions.  And then I think I broke her little heart when I told her that I thought that we were going to try out Rosmaryn.


She loved the idea of it all.  After all, she's 50% Polish too and thought that everything from the traditions to the potato vodka would be a hit.


But as I told her that I wasn't sure if people would get lost along the way and that I wasn't sure of the neighborhood or where people would park she told me the nicest thing.  Cuz Sweets said that she would be honored if I let her cater our rehearsal dinner.  She said of course, not to feel any pressure.  But just play with the idea in my head.  You see, me & Cousin Sweet Cream could Facebook message each other back and forth until we are blue in the face about different recipes we were trying and ideas for entertaining, among other things.  I loved hearing about her ideas as she started to cater parties with a friend in Portland.  


But when she suggested the idea of her catering I immediately thought "No! That's way too  much work to pull off."  But she assured me that I could be as involved or not during the cooking leading up to the rehearsal dinner.


She has worked at an uber-trendy Mexican restaurant in Philly and knew her way around some Mexican choices that could be prepped ahead of time.  Then she began a list of Mexican restaurants in the area that she knew she could get some of the key ingredients at and then knew that our local market would have the rest.


Let me tell you a thing or two about the ladies in my family. We love planning -- even if the event itself never, ever takes place.  Call us crazy.


So before the green light was given, Cousin Sweet Cream sent me an email.


As far as the rehearsal dinner, let me know how the Polish place works out. If not, I of course already have a menu and classy cantina DIY decor ideas lined up. 


Mexican spiced chocolate cupcakes would work awesome with the theme and churros with fruit and chocolate sauce choices for dipping or even mexican wedding cookies?  ( I've made them all before, so recipes are at the handy and I have a pastry piper for icing and the churros.) I'm also envisioning tin cans with the little holes to create a design and to work as candle holders. Below I have included some taco ideas. I'm thinking a few different types of guac and salsas, as well as black beans with pickled onions, refried pintos topped with tortilla slivers and cotija cheese, plain rice, a serrano chile rice, and I just found an AMAZING recipe for tortilla chips with an option for some chile tortilla chips as well. 


If you want apps, a ceviche could be an option, gorditas or flautas? Also, mexican corn on the cob is GREAT! Grilled corn (with braided husks, you just insert a skewer into the bottom end and braid the peeled back husk around it) the corn then has a chile crema, chile salt, and shaved queso fresco. Beverage wise... coronas and negro modelas, melon margs, maybe a mango melon, watermelon basil, strawberry hibiscus, pomegranate, cranberry, and lime, apple and prickly pear (I love seasonal things. :) oooohhh and maybe that green tea zen sangria (it has pear which is perfect for the season) ? I have a list somewhere of ones I have been saving for you, and for non-alcoholic there could be horchata, fresh fruit juices, and a hibiscus tea?   


Ok... I'm done... Just wanted to throw some ideas your way to give you more of an idea of what I was thinking. Let me know what you think and no pressure my dear, this took me all of a few minutes to come up with in my head. ;)  If anything you will enjoy my ideas and for that alone... I love you!!!! :)


Carnitas
Crisp & juicy braised pork topped with salsa verde, onions, cilantro & queso fresco 

Pollo Asado
Spicy chipotle rubbed grilled chicken topped with crema, salsa roja & pico de gallo

Pollo Verde
 chicken braised in tomatillo salsa & topped with salsa verde, onions & cilantro

Carne Asada
chopped steak, served traditional-style with grilled onion and topped with salsa roja, cilantro & onion

Barbacoa
beef brisket braised inside banana leaves in a Yucatan-style three chile barbacoa salsa, topped with onion, cilantro & queso fresco

Verduras 
Delicious mix of seasonal vegetables

Pescado
Cornmeal encrusted Alaskan Cod topped with crema, cabbage, salsa verde, onion, cilantro & pineapple

Calamari
Wild squid & bell peppers sautéed with chili seasoning & topped with crema, salsa roja & pico de gallo

Camarones
Wild shrimp, sautéed with chili seasoning & topped with creme, cabbage, salsa verde, onion, cilantro & pineapple



And just like that the whole gang was on board with having a home-based rehearsal dinner where we could relax, stay as long as we want, wander around, linger and sit around a fire.


Cuz Sweets already is envisioning lights like these, which she's packing in her suitcase:
String Lights / via Amazon



And these for some low light:
Soup Can DIY Punch Hole Lights / Image & Tutorial via CraftZine

I'm envisioning using Mr. Sweet Cream's Grandmom's tablecloth circa 1950s that is "Mexican" themed to serve as additional inspiration!  We love the seafood green with bright blues, yellows & reds.



And then we got to chatting even more and began to think about things like...


Vintage Mexican Postcards...

...Papel Picado...
San Francisco Street Photography by John Agoncillo / via Alapan

...And Mason Jar Margaritas...


So Cousin Sweets is DIYing all kinds of things that she plans to either ship across the country or bring with her when she comes.  She's putting together lists of things we need and we plan to get down-and-dirty with prepping and cooking when she gets in the day before the dinner.  We can do this.  I love that it will not only be a totally amazing rehearsal dinner...but wonderful visiting time & memories with Cuz Sweet Cream.


Did you wind up having an at-home rehearsal dinner?  Did you DIY that too?  Did anyone throw an amazing wrench into your original plans that you are so stinkin' excited about?

No comments:

Post a Comment