Tuesday, August 9, 2011

RING-a-ding-ding: A Story about What's Written Inside

So I told you about Mr. Sweet's band & then I shared the details about mine.

But before talks of wedding bands even began, me & Mr. Sweets both knew we wanted beautiful words to each other written inside of them.  I loved the idea of having some sweet language carved in the bands that would remind us of our feelings for each other that are bound to grow throughout our marriage and life.

I know that I've shared with you the idea of having the cinema serve as inspiration, and while I might not having any "movie" idea woven into our big day, I did get a little idea from a little picture from the big screen I'd like to call "License to Wed."  (I promise I don't just watch silly romantic comedies... but my love for thrillers don't exactly fit into inspiration for weddings -- although I am sure that it's been done... and probably been done beautifully!).

In the movie "License to Wed," John Krasinski's character gets an engraving on Mandy Moore's band to surprise her on the big day, but as many of you know, a little sloppy handwriting turns a sweet sentiment into something silly that Mandy Moore winds up telling him never to change...

{Such a cute pair in this chick flick!} via IMDB

So while I was in love with the idea of me & Mr. Sweets surprising each other with engravings that we would be so excited to slip off our bands the minute we left the church to see what the other wrote, this wasn't something Mr. Sweet was equally excited about.

Mr. Sweet Cream has a way with words and always writes the most beautiful things in cards or notes to me, but for whatever reason these words being carved into a band that would be on my finger forever made him more stressed than it should.

So while I knew what I was putting in his (and knew he'd love it), he begged me to give him small hints.  Then one evening after a relaxing couple wines (wedding planning is stressful, hive! As I am sure you all know), Mr. Sweets begged again.  And I gave him a hint.  Then he tried to guess.  Then I just came out and told him.  I don't know why I did... the boy obviously was dying to know.  And let's face it, me & Mr. Sweets find it so, so hard to keep a secret from each other.
{We try to keep surprises from each other -- but it's hard!!!}

I reminded Mr. Sweets the story about the recent time he scored amazing tickets to a Phillies game since one of his clients and his buddy couldn't make it to the game and threw my mister the tickets. Instead of taking anyone else, he called me at work and asked if I could make the game that night, to a seat behind the dugout with him.  I was honored that Mr. Sweet Cream could pick anyone to go with - but he picked me!  At the game I told Mr. Sweets that I couldn't believe that he'd pick me and he looked at me all puzzled and said, "Sweet Cream, I pick you every time."  I told him that I know, but this was amazing seats to the Phils.  Mr. Sweets said, "Sweet Cream, if I had 1 extra ticket on space rocket to the moon, I'd pick you!" We went back and forth a few times saying the things we'd pick each other for -- even though these amazing situations we were trying to top each other with would never likely happen.  I'll tell ya, Mr. Sweets still knows how to make a girl's heart skip a beat.

{Me & Mr. Sweets would have such an amazing time together on the moon!}

That little story stuck in my head a few months & when we talked about engravings I just knew that I had to have that inside Mr. Sweets' ring.

So when I told him that, he looked and me and smiled and said, "Wow. You're good."  He thought it was such a great idea, he was going to steal that inscription for for my band.

Now my ring will have "I pick you, every time" and Mr. Sweets' will have "Every time, I pick you."

So much for surprises, huh?  But I love it & so does Mr. Sweet Cream and although it's not the surprise I had in mind, I think that it's just perfect!!

Did you have anything sentimental engraved in your rings? Were you able to keep your lips zipped to make it a surprise?

No comments:

Post a Comment