Monday, June 13, 2011

Counting On Things in the Craft Closet: A DIY Table Number Tutorial

So hive...I know that I teased you with some of the wedding projects upon our introduction.  And I thought now is as good as a time as any to show you my table numbers, which I must admit that I am in lust with.  

But first: Here was some ideas that ran through my bridal brain prior to our current digits...
Wine table numbers would be perfect for a winery wedding.
Amazing? Yes! Cost-effective? No!
Image via ethereal bride

Kinda obsessed with Miss Crepe's hand embroidered numbers!
Image via Miss Crepe

I know that a LOT of bees are digging the succulent craze. 
How cute are these?

I love seeing all the seating charts on the bridal blogs nowadays...
like this one using an old window.  Totally vintage & clever...but not what we decided.
Image via bella destinee

Well, I knew that I wanted to use my inspiration fabric.  And I had an idea about using definitions for words that emulate marriage using an old dictionary.

I just love vintage fonts in books!  Look at this french love bird confetti 
Image via ddeforest / etsy

Well mixing my wants to get something I desired, I came up with this!


I swapped out vintage dictionary paper for something else. I love Ballpark Weiner font oh-so-much that I had to incorporate it.  The numbers stand out in their yellow and grey dreamy fabric glory.  

The cost for these pretty little pieces?  Since I had almost everything on hand -- with the exception of the frames -- almost pennies!  (Well 99 of them to be exact... per piece ladies & gents, per piece!).

And I promised to show you the ropes of my DIY table numbers... so are you ready?


Things You Will Need:
  • Numbers printed out to use as templates (I used Ballpark Wiener via Da Font)
  • Picture frame (Mine is Ikea's Tolsby (99 cents a piece & double sided(!))
  • Fabric (I used my inspiration fabric)
  • Heat'n Bond Ultra Hold Iron-On Adhesive (I got it at my local fabric shop & had it laying around) OR duct tape
  • Glue gun
  • Hot glue
  • thin sharpie / marker / pen
  • Background print outs (I typed out definitions of words I loved in size adjusted to desired frame)

I looked up words like love, sweetheart, friendship, marriage, wife, husband, spouse, partner, kiss, embrace, hold, cherish, heart, adore, honor, etc. in the good old dictionary & got to work transcribing

Numbers all cut out to use as templates 

First you iron on the adhesive to the back of the fabric.  This will make it stiff & give you something to trace your numbers.  If you cannot find the iron-on adhesive you can just put single layers of duct tape on the back.  The point isn't to use it as an adhesive, but to get it stiff so that you can trace & cut & that it holds up on the frame.

Once this is finished, you can trace numbers using your templates -- but be sure to do it backwards...so that it reads right to your guests. Also make sure to measure up the template numbers in your frame to be sure that they fit.  I had to make double digits a smaller font so that they would work.

Numbers all traced and ready be cut 

This number three getting cut out & ready to be mounted on the frame.
Both practical & beautiful.

Peel the paper off the back.

Then you will have your number.

Here's the definitions all typed up in their Ballpark Wiener glory & cut to size.
This is one of my favorite fonts of the moment.  I chose to do grey & yellow
since it is our wedding colors.

Slide the definitions into the frames (since Tolsby is two sided, you can put numbers
on both sides.  I didn't, but you can! I liked the idea of the 
guests being able to see what it is).

Hot glue the back.  I've noticed that more is better, especially at the edges.

Then smack them on your frame.  Press each part until sealed completely.


Tada! Table #7 and Table #14 look vintage & dapper, I must say.

It was funny to see that a definition of kiss is "a baked confection of egg whites and confectioners' sugar" & that the term "sweetheart" started in the 1200s.  And I love the way that they turned out.

Did you whip out the craft supplies for your table numbers?  Did you stick with traditional numbers or do something more creative (like sea creatures or exotic locales you visited together)?  

No comments:

Post a Comment