Monday, June 6, 2011

Fly Me To The 'Moon... Part II

As I had previously mentioned, an October wedding had us connecting to TripAdvisor, Frommer's and The Travel Channel a heck of a lot more than normal to do digging about where we'd enjoy each other's company and frolic in the surf on our honeymoon... during hurricane season.

We crossed off options due to cost, travel time & the desire for something uber "tropical."

After Cabo was nixed, I plead my case to Mr. Sweet Cream for a location that I just knew he would love.  Thanks to some handy research, pictures of beautiful water (& fishing!) and some fellow bees on the message boards, we picked our 'moon locale.

For those bees out there who like a little bit of guessing, here are some clues for you: Dutch is the official language, the currency is the florin & the average temperature is 81 degrees...


After me and Mr. Sweets become Mr. & Mrs., we are heading off to the gorgeous island of Curacao!

 For those bees who aren't familiar with the island, like I previously had not been, it's near Aruba & Bonaire and is known for it's scuba diving & underwater paradise (It's also known for that blue liquor that is found in bars across the county -- and in this Blue Hawaiian.  YumO!)  

For whatever reason, Mr. Sweets was sure we could book everything ourselves without going through a travel agent.  I know that this can be risky, but we were willing to take the risk.  And hopefully it's worth it.

TripAdvisor led me to this adorable little B&B in the capital of the country, The Scuba Lodge, where reviews poured in saying all kinds of nice things about this yellow 14-bedroom historic building owned by a Dutch couple.  After even more research, we booked it!

I've emailed Caroline and Annelies, the crew at the Lodge, since the days booking our room that over looks the water and I immediately get a response... recommending a variety of sunset sails when I said my search didn't find much and letting me know that the cooking class we wanted to do no longer existed, but they would be happy to teach us how to make the best poffertjes.  I seriously cannot wait to go.  I know that it isn't an all-inclusive honeymoon kingdom... but I think we might have a more memorable experience that is more "us" here...

Besides the beaches, the restaurants, fishing, chillin' with dolphinssafaris, a Floating market, sipping drinks at sunset & scuba diving -- and obviously being a new Mr. & Mrs. and enjoying each other's company -- what else are we looking forward to?

Welzijn Fish Spa, where "Doctor fish" exfoliate your skin
(I honestly don't know if I will be able to do this! Have
any bees out there done it?!)
Source / Flickr


The Ostrich Farm allows you to take a guided tour and hang with the big birds...
My favorite: Zambezi Restaurant, where you can sip liqueur by a cozy campfire at night!


There are petroglyphs estimated to be 1500 years old 
left from the Amerindian Arawaks in the Hato Caves.

We are planning on mixing a little culture, pampering and history (& really big birds!) in with lounging on a powdery beach and sipping drinks.  We can do both.

I know that some family members are sad because they had their heart set on getting us a gift certificate to a travel agent this past holiday as a present.  And I know that we could wind up hating this fish doctor spa.  But me & Mr. Sweet Cream have always enjoyed a good adventure -- even if it doesn't turn out just right.  And we have Caroline and Annalise at the Scuba Lodge who seem like they know a thing or too.

Did you go through a travel agent or do the digging yourself?  Where are you going on your honeymoon? Is there one thing -- that might seem a little crazy -- that you absolutely cannot wait for (besides being on your honeymoon with your honey, that is)? 

Have any bees been to Curacao and have a great tip (or three?) for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment