Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Sweet Spot on Top of The Sweet Spot

Before I even given any thought about a dream wedding cake I knew one thing.

There just had to be a vintage wedding cake topper on top.

I envy those brides who use their grandmother's cake toppers and you can just imagine them, many, many years earlier in your very shoes: a fresh new bride with her one honey on their super special day -- your parents & you just a twinkle in her eye.

Well - I didn't necessarily have the luxury of using Grandmom Sweet Cream's cake topper ... I don't even think that she had one in her 1940s wedding... or maybe she did.  My super sweet seasoned grandmom (I have forever promised that I would never tell anyone her age) can't seem to remember. But she did let me know if she does have one - it's mine!

...But I do have access to adopting someone else's grandmom's topper...maybe not someone I know... just someone...out there... You may or may not remember that I'm a fool for "antiques."

Just look at the batch of exquisite, charming, bride & groom figures that could grace the top of one of the most special sweets that may ever hit your spot.





I love that they include bits of antique paper and passementerie, along with pieces of sheet music and feathery doves. 



So while out on an antique trip where I scour flea markets & antique stores hunting like a hawk for good deals and all-things-retro, I stumbled across this:


To tell you the whole truth we weren't even engaged yet!! (I know!)  

I wasn't even creating inspiration boards or stalking bridal blogs oooing and ahhhing over the complete insanity that is out there with all you creative, thoughtful brides in the blogosphere.  I was just a "waiting bee" before I even knew that the term existed and here I was paying 5 dollars at a flea market for this little lovely.  But it just caught my eye & I knew that we were meant to be.  Mind  you... We knew that we'd eventually get married...we just didn't know when!).

I cannot wait for it to grace the top of our super special confection!! I know that there is fluffing still to done on the vintage netting after I took it out and bleached it...and some spiffing up here and there... but I think that it's perfection! If only cake topper could talk... I wonder the story it would tell!!

So it sat -- well hid -- in the top of my closet & I never mentioned a word about it to anyone.  Until now...to you -- the whole hive!! (I hope Mr. Sweets isn't reading this!).

Tell me - did you get something wedding related -- even though it can be brutally embarrassing -- when you were "waiting" for the ring? 

Are you a vintage cake topper bride too!?

No comments:

Post a Comment