Monday, May 9, 2011

My Ever Growing Tool Box of Craft Goodness

Since me & Mr. Sweet Cream moved into our own adorably cute mid-century house that just needs a little tender love & care, we didn't get a computer until just recently.  I can already hear jaws dropping around the bride community - but it's true.  I did have my work laptop that I took home to (of course do work but to also) browse wedding blogs, research vendors, create detailed excel sheets and all the other things essential in the new millenium of wedding planning -- so I am not entirely living in the stone age.

We were thrilled to finally get our own computer, but I didn't realize what an absolute pain it could be for a do-it-yourselfer like me not to have one.  I couldn't download fonts on my work computer, so I was off to Mama Sweet Cream's house I go to download cursive, bold and retro font from Da Font, Urban Fonts & Kevin & Amanda

Here is the font that can make me swoon.

Source / DaFont

I also had trouble when it was time to print out mailing labels for the save the dates -  I accidently printed out the last few on the wrong side, so when I got home to cut all the adorably fonted labels out I realized that I would have to truck back over in the next day or two to print the stragglers... holding up getting them out in the mail. 

So you can imagine my excitement when we finally got this long-awaited-much-needed computer & printer.  I actually felt like a real 2011 bride again - with everything I need & want at my finger tips.

And I have found other tools essential to creating the wedding of my dreams... Thank goodness during this whole time I did have my paper cutter that Mr. Sweet Cream haggled with the vendor at at a flea market for $6.  Brand new & in the box.  I don't think he even knew how important it would be and how magically straight it could cut things -- he just new that his bride-to-be wanted it.  (When I did show him the finished envelopes he did notice and say "Geez those labels are straight!!").

I also got a wood burning tool with my coupon for Joann Fabric that I have been using to cut out stencils from sheets of plastic (which I am using to make cloth napkins & fabric banners and plan to use in hundreds -- OK -- maybe dozens of other projects that I have in mind.

And I would also DIE without a gluegun.  Seriously. Die.

I see lots of brides using fascinating tools to do amazing things. 

Mrs. Dumpling's invites were gorgous - thanks to her talent -- and her gocco:

Source / WeddingBee

Mrs. D'orsay totally rocked out her invites with her Stamp-a-Majig while embossing her heart away:
Source / WeddingBee

A saw was totally needed for this adorable DIY woodsy cake stand (and I know that I will be calling on Mr. Sweet Cream, his tool box and his handy man skills sometime in the next few months).

Source / Once Wed
Check out the DIY Tutorial!

I know that I cannot do without a computer, printer, sewing machine or paper cutter.

What are your tricks of the trade that you hands down cannot do without to make your day beautiful?  What tools are you using to create things you will look back and cherish?  Did you pick up a new skill from DIY something in your wedding that you know now that your life has forever changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment