Friday, May 13, 2011

(It Takes A Lot) To Move Me to Tears

I consider myself to be a romantic.

But after driving up the grass to a neighborhood mansion that were our old stompin' grounds and seeing a picnic laid under the tree where we shared one of our first (but certainly not last) kisses as young and innocent teens and Mr. Sweet Cream getting down on bended knee and declare his love, I had completely dry eyes.

There were shrieks and excitement and jumping up and down.  There was also spilt champagne after Mr.  Bunts called me his "fiance" and I threw the glass in the air and jumped on him in pure, excitement-spilling-out-of-my-heart emotion.  But a las, my mascara remained fully in tact.

Months later after trying on hundreds of dresses and finding THE ONE, still nothing.  I think that me & Mama Sweet Cream disappointed the sales lady who --I am sure-- was just hoping that we would need one of the tissues that sat next to the pink patterned couch outside of the dressing room.   (In the car I told Mama Sweets, "You're my mom! Aren't YOU supposed to cry?!?") There was excitement, joy & all sorts of emotions.  But tears weren't one of them.

Brides and bride's moms cry - right?  At least in the movies (& in one of the handful of shows that make girls say "yes" to the dress). So I felt kind of like the anti-bride.  I cry at lots of things.  The Notebook.  Certain commercials.  The Biggest Loser transformation episode...  And I'm sure that there are more examples too!

I had the vision of tears of happiness surrounding my engagement and wedding.  Maybe I should sniff an onion before I take a walk down the altar on the big day, so as not to disappoint everyone.

But one day, me & Mama Sweet Cream stumbled upon a little boutique when out for a day of shopping and there was something in one store in particular that brought us both to tears...

This plate.
I just love this plate! 


For some reason while browsing through little doodads and knickknacks, my eyes feel upon this plate and emotion took over me & suddenly, they weren't so dry anymore.

That is exactly how I feel about Mr. Sweet Cream all in one vintage typewritter fonted, absolutely adorably designed plate.  I couldn't believe that I was getting MARRIED to my BFF who I love with all my heart.  So there we are in the store with smeared mascara and hopes that the saleslady was as prepared as the one in the bridal shop and give us a tissue!

Mama Sweet Cream got us the plate for an engagement party gift & it hangs right next to the front door, reminding both me & Mr. Sweets: Carpe Diem & Count Your Blessings!

Maybe emotion like that will overcome me on the big day -- but if not that's OK too.

Were you emotional when the question was popped?  Did YOU cry on the big day?  Do you think that you will? What is the moment that it all hit you that you were getting married?  Was it a place that you didn't expect it at all??

No comments:

Post a Comment