Friday, May 20, 2011

Save the Last Dance -- and the first one -- for me.

Our song is the slamming screen door, sneakin' out late, tapping on your window...When we're on the phone and you talk real slow 'cause it's late and your mama don't know... Oh wait.  That isn't OUR song!  That's T.Swift's song with one of her many beaus.

As for our song. That is TBD.

There's a funny thing about first songs.  I don't know if it's just couples now-a-days put some much darn thought into it.  Maybe its just us detailed bees?

I remember Freddie Prinze, Jr. & Julia Stiles listening to records and putting so much thought into what "their" song was in the horrible movie -- even though I loved it -- Down to You.  And they were only dating for a few months.

Even though it seems perfectly
romantic to be skimming vinyl and sitting Indian style....
This somehow isn't realistically how me & Mr. Sweet Cream are picking our song...

Mama Bunts & Papa Sweets had a first song picked out - but on the wedding day the band could think of how to play the song.  So what did they wind up with as "their song?" Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love."  It must have been the times because that is also the song of not one, but two, of my friends' parents' songs who all got married in the 70s.

I do like that song -- especially the Ingrid Michaelson version... even though the original is great too.  No debates here.  It's definitely on our playlist.

Ingrid Michaelson's version makes me think of
real-live, can't-live-without-you true love...

I digress.  Our real "song" from many, many moons ago is Aerosmith's Don't Wanna Miss a Thang.  Am I dating myself?

 


Fast forward 15 years...that isn't a song we really want for our song.

So now, I'd love share with the hive some of my top choices -- which I preface by saying that Mr. Sweet Cream liked all of them until I excitedly said, "OK, Mr. Sweets. So this is our song?!?"  

A hesitated shuffling of the feet and a cock-eyed squinty look told me no... in fact it wouldn't be.  Don't worry, bees.  I asked him what his choices are.  He said that he would have to think about it -- but hasn't come up with much.  (Although nothing is better than Papa Sweet Cream wanting to dance to a Jimi Hendrix song for our dad/daughter dance.  He doesn't know which one... he just loves Jimi Hendrix & Led Zep.  And bees, the man don't dance!!)

Just for fun - let me run through the list of could-have-beens for our first song as man & wife:

Otis Redding / That's How Strong My Love Is
I just love the lyrics to this tune.


Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat / Lucky
What a sweet duet!

Natasha Beddingfeld / Love Like This
This was almost going to be it!  Mr. Sweet Cream loved the lyrics...
But for whatever reason, he changed his mind.

Cat Power / Sea of Love
Sigh. How can you not like this...

I actually wound up finding an amazing song -- actually from the Bee Boards -- that is the top running as we speak.  At first Mr. Sweets wasn't so sure about it... but after playing it 45+ times as he was working around the house I think it may have grown on him.  I really do think he likes it now!
Joss Stone & Common / What We Gonna Do Now

The lyrics are great! We both like that its a little peppy so we are not stuck into a standard sway.  We can have some fun!  But would we prefer something a little more classic? I don't know the answer to that one quite yet.

Did you and your FH agree right away on "your song?" Did you have "a song" already, but want a new one for your wedding day?  How did you decide?  What were your top contenders?

Also: Are you following Freddie Prinze's movie-mom's advice and going for something "timeless" and "classic," or do think that something the represents "you" (as a couple) is much more important?







No comments:

Post a Comment