Sunday, May 8, 2011

What Lies On The Cutting Room Floor

We planned for an October wedding.  I knew – although not first hand – how quickly time would fly.  Mr. Sweet Cream on the other hand thought that we had all of the time in the world… until that is it came to booking both our dream venue, our caterer we were lusting after and our church  – in the fall.  I wish I had a picture of his face when the person at the venue told us the dates left in October.  And then the caterer told us the same thing.  Luckily we snatched up that date before it was taken by another bride and groom with similar dreams.

Once these big things were signed and sealed we – or I – started to think about the big picture.  I had so many ideas and ultimately I knew that it would eventually have to be edited.  I think that I was truly meant to have a small intimate wedding with the details the paraded through my imagination. 

Look at how gorgeous these mismatched kitchy vintage place settings look.  I certainly could collect 130+ plates, cups, wine glasses, dessert plates and utensils in over a year! I swear!




I also just knew that it would be simply charming to have our favorite family recipes for desserts, such as Gmom Sweet Cream's famous Texas sheet cake, Aunt Sweet Cream's to-die-for cheesecake and Mr. Sweet's grandmom's pies.  Food has a way of bringing back family memories and this would honor those truly dear to us while serving something that is truly... well... a part of our family background.

The caterer wouldn't allow this with their servers handing out the sweets.  We could hire another catering staff and do this -- but then I guess they wouldn't know the food...the oh so good food.  So I folded that hand.

I also wanted to have some light games for some time just before the clock just ticks to cocktail hour.  But I honestly just don't know if it could work with our crowded guest list. 

Where I originally pictured a party -- the party of our lives as a matter of fact -- I pictured it much smaller.  But when two becomes one -- that means double the aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.  I would hate for anyone to get cut from a list who deserves a seat...because we want everyone to be a part of our big day who the people we love want there.

I got over the idea of mismatched vintage plates for ones all in the same color and having a variety of cakes from a baker in lieu of our grandmom's goodies.  But I am still thrilled about being able to share our day with everyone we love.  And that's what it's all about.

Did you have to edit some ideas you swooned over due to logistics, whether it is cost, count or something different?


No comments:

Post a Comment